Malealea Lodge - Mountain Biking in Lesotho.
For many, mountain biking up and down the valley is our most thrilling option. The easiest ride is to the top of the gorge. It is relatively flat and the surface is most reminiscent of road-biking. It will take about one hour and will lead you to a beautiful overlook. For something more challenging, you can descend into the gorge to find the rockpools at the bottom. This ride involves descents, climbs, and some hiking, and can take anywhere from 3-5 hours.
The ride to the beautiful Botsoela Waterfalls is a fun downhill ride, with a satisfying viewpoint destination just below the falls that requires a bit of hiking to reach. The ride back is an uphill grind, but nothing fit and adventurous riders can’t handle.
We can also arrange for a guide to take you to the Bushman Paintings. The Bushman Paintings are relics from the first human civilization here. Reaching the paintings requires some steep hiking after the 1-hour ride, but the impact of seeing something left behind from 20,000 years ago is usually worth the effort. If you are quite keen, you can see both the falls and the paintings on a journey that will take about 5 hours.
The cost of the ride depends on the length of the ride and ranges from R250-500.
● Top of Pitseng Gorge: easy and flat, overlook the Gorge
● Pitseng Gorge Loop: moderate descents and climbs, explore the Gorge and rockpools
● Botsoela Waterfalls – moderate long descent and long climb, see waterfall
● Bushman Paintings – moderate descents and climbs with steep hiking, see ancient cave paintings
● Botsoela Waterfalls & Bushman Paintings – moderate-to-difficult descents and climbs with steep hiking, see waterfalls and ancient cave paintings