Cape Town has become a renowned venue for African adventures over the years and it is this evolution that inspired two adventure junkies to attempt a new world record. Johan Radcliffe and Darron Raw have taken off Wednesday
8 December 2010 and will attempt to cram in as many adventure activities as they possibly can in a single day. They have named their challenge the HI-TEC Dawn-2-Dusk Adventure World Record Attempt.
Not even the most gruelling adventure holidays offer what they will be attempting to do in just a span of 24 hours (15 actually). Strategically planning their assault, they have mapped out adventures throughout the majestic Cape Peninsula and the West Coast of Cape Town, doing everything from skydiving to sandboarding.
Johan, publisher of the Dirty Boots Adventure Guide, gave his thoughts on the upcoming event: “Both Darron and I have been heavily involved in enabling adventure activities for the broader public, myself through Dirty Boots, and Darron through Swazi Trails, and his legendary Swazi Extreme Adventure Race.
“With both of us having just had our 40th birthdays, we decided that it was time for us to break away from work and go on an adventure.”
Although a fairly simple idea on paper, planning everything proved a little more strenuous. Adventures had to seamlessly flow from one to the next to ensure that they could complete as many activities as possible.
Luckily, the adventure community in Cape Town were ready to assist in making this dream of a new world record a reality. Transport was offered from Revel Adventures; Hi-Tec threw in some cash plus shoes, and First Ascent offered some adventure clothing that will withstand the various challenges. Most importantly, the list of action companies below gave them the thumbs up in regards to the list of activities they will need to complete. Darron and Johan will attempt to complete the following:
- Abseil Africa: After a safety briefing, your harnesses are strapped and you simply walk off the edge of Cape Town’s largest landmark.
- Aerosport: Take a bird’s eye view of the stunning Cape Peninsula aboard a gyrocopter.
- Cape Town Tandem Paragliding: After a short hike to the launching area on Lion’s head, you are strapped in with your tandem pilot before enjoying a quick flight and landing safely at La Med, just in time for some drinks or a snack.
- Cape Bike Travel: Feel the wind in your face as your power through the streets on a legendary Harley-Davidson motorcycle.
- Cape Sidecar Adventures: Ever wondered what it would feel like to wind through the roads in a vintage sidecar? Wonder no more with Cape Sidecar Adventures.
- Cool-Runnings: Get your heart racing on the Toboggan Track - a 1.25km winding course that is done at break-neck speed.
- Daytrippers: Experience Cape Town’s top singletrack in Tokai Forest and enjoy the ultimate free-flowing mountain biking adventure.
- False Bay Gun Club: Pump some lead into clay pigeons or try your hand at target shooting.
- Figure of 8: Explore Cape Town’s ancient canals for an eerie trip and fascinating look into days gone by.
- Gravity Adventures: Gulley swims, rock jumps and penguin play are all part of this coasteering session.
- Melkbos 4x4: Mud flying, engines roaring and some of the most intense obstacles around are all on offer at the Melkbos 4x4 track.
- Noordhoek Beach Rides: Slow down and enjoy a different view of Noordhoek’s famous Long Beach by exploring it on horseback.
- Revel Adventures: Rip through the monstrous Atlantis dunes with a custom made sandboard.
- Simon’s Town Sea Kayaking: Explore the rich coastline of the famous Boulders Beach and learn about the abundance of marine life in the area.
- Skydive Cape Town: Get on a plane, cruise to 9000ft and then jump out. This tandem jump offers adrenaline pumping 35 second freefall.
- Simon’s Town Boat Company: Feel the gravitational pull as you crash through the waves at speeds of up to 100km/hr aboard the vessel ‘Awesome’ en route to Cape Point.
- SunScene: The SunScene zip-line offers a 130m thrill by allowing you to climb a giant gum tree take a leap of faith.
It’s only really a matter of time now as Johan and Darron frantically attempt to set a new world record! Be a part of their African adventure by visiting www.hi-tec.co.za, or join their Facebook pages at The Facebook Hi-Tec Wall or The Facebook Dirtyboots Guide.